Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Motivation and Meditation


Sometimes I notice that everything I do seems to happen in waves, or phases. Whether it's exercising, studying, eating well, or meditating, these things ebb and flow as time goes on. When I get into something, I do it with real determination. I don't mess around! And I can always feel the satisfaction after doing so. So why, then, must it inevitably wane and become something of a nagging nuisance when the energy falls and this task is then the last thing on my mind?

Maybe it's something to do with biorhythms. Or female cycles. Or being human. Who knows? Today I finally sat down and meditated. This is one of the hardest ones for me to get into the habit of doing. And it doesn't make any sense. I've had amazing things happen after less than a week of serious meditation practice. I could feel myself in the flow of life, manifesting my dreams, attracting all the right people, accomplishing everything I had wanted to do effortlessly! It was obvious to me that this is what they mean when people talk about why meditation is beneficial. I was sold!!!

So why didn't I keep on doing it? I really can't answer that question. It makes no logical sense. I suppose I could say that I am always doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing, that there are no mistakes, and that I will meditate daily when I am meant to do so. But that makes me feel like a cop-out. I can rationalize anything. Why make excuses? Why not just find a way to develop the discipline it takes to sit down and be quiet for 20 minutes each day, consciously?

I could set my phone to remind me. I have tried forming meditation groups with the intent of forcing myself to meditate using the power of peer pressure. Unfortunately, those people felt I lived too far away to continue coming to the group. Maybe since I've moved I could try that again. Meditating with others has always proven much easier. The surrounding vibration is much higher and it's easy to just get in the zone.

I'm ready to reap the benefits of regular meditation. All I need to do now is meditate. Sounds simple enough. Maybe a little EFT tapping could help...

No comments: