Friday, August 1, 2008

Peace Cats

I am just getting settled in to a new apartment with my two kitty cats, Deliah and Mia. We are cohabitating with one roommate and one other cat. The humans are getting along famously, however, the kitty cats are having a harder time. After two of the three cats have demonstrated their dismay with the new situation by pottying in the most inappropriate places they could find, and all three are continually hissing and spatting at each other, i decided to approach this problem from a new angle.

I sat down and did some rounds of EFT, or Emotional Freedom Technique, on the resident cat, Miss Kitty. (If you don't know, EFT involves tapping on energy meridians to clear energy blockages responsible for any and every problem you can think of. See www.emofree.com for more info.) She was hiding in a closet after being reprimanded for her naughty deeds of the night before. Being a once-feral cat, she has been hiding behind a bed the entire time I've been here (almost a week.) She was not interested in getting to know me or my feline friends.

So I did the tapping and then had a little conversation with her and asked if she would be my friend. I reached out a hand to let her sniff, and believe it or not, she came out of her shell and transformed into the most affectionate kitty ever. She had me rubbing her belly even!

When Mia cat came in to see what was going on, I sat between the two of them and tried to soften the exchange. Miss Kitty is still miffed about the other cats, and showed me that with her claws when I went to pet her in Mia's presence. I did a couple more rounds of EFT, and the two cats were able to sit as close together as I've seen them yet. It's not a love fest yet, but I think we're making good progress. I will continue with the EFT and see where that takes us.

No comments: